Cycling Holidays in the Chiemgau
Round trip from Salzburg, 8 days / 7 nights from EUR 549
This cycling holiday in the Chiemgau region begins and ends in the Mozart city of Salzburg and allows you to experience the Upper Bavarian Alpine foothills on your bike. You’ll spend a whole day at the famous Lake Chiemsee before cycling into the Alpine region of Berchtesgadener Land. Enjoy Bavarian cuisine and the Bavarian way of life. For this tour you should have a basic level of fitness.
Day 1 Arrival in Salzburg
You will be charmed by this magnificent festival city and former residence of the prince-bishopric.
Day 2 Salzburg - Waginger See, approx. 45 km / 28 mi
You’ll cycle along the river Salzach to Oberndorf, where the Silent Night Chapel commemorates the composers of the famous Christmas carol. The Waginger See is the warmest lake in Upper Bavaria.
Day 3 Waginger See - Chiemsee, 20-35 km / 12-22 mi
Traunstein, known for salt-production, is picturesquely located in front of the Chiemgau Alps. Lake Chiemsee is a popular tourist destination and offers lots of recreational activities.
Day 4 Round trip Chiemsee, 50 km / 31 mi + boat trip
You’ll spend the entire day at the "Bavarian Sea". You can also hop on a ship to the Herreninsel Island, which is home to King Ludwig II's Herrenchiemsee Palace.
Day 5 Chiemsee - Inzell, 35-45 km / 22-28 mi
One of the largest mammoth skeletons was found in Siegsdorf and can be viewed here. Inzell is a former mining town, but is known as a health resort today.
Day 6 Innzell - Berchtesgaden, approx. 45 km / 28 mi
The "Zwing" gorge provides a path to the salt town of Bad Reichenhall, which was completely destroyed by a fire in 1834. The southernmost point of your bike tour is Berchtesgaden, overlooked by the Watzmann massif.
Day 7 Berchtesgaden - Salzburg, 30 km / 19 mi
Time to head to the legendary Lake Königssee, which is nestled like a fjord between the Watzmann and Hagengebirge mountains. Then you’ll cycle back to Salzburg along easy paths.
Day 8 Departure or extension
Your tour ends after breakfast. But why not extend your cycling holidays in the Chiemgau?
Included in "Cycling Holidays Chiemgau":
- 7 overnight stays incl. breakfast
- luggage transport from hotel to hotel, no maximum number of items, maximum weight: 20 kg/ item (44 lbs/ item)
- boat trip Prien-Stock excl. bike
- travel documents and maps in english
- GPS tracks
- visitor taxes payable on site
- optional rental bike
- Category L:
Selected hotels at the international 3*/4* level as per Hotelstars Union.
Bikes for hire:
- Comfortable unisex bikes available in different frame sizes with 24 gears/freewheel. Equipped with panniers, lock and repair kit. E-bikes available upon request.
Travel time 2022:
- Arrivals daily from 01.05. to 05.10.
- the day of arrival determines the price of your tour
All prices apply per person in a double room, incl. breakfast.
- 549 EUR saver price
01.05. - 09.05.
- 739 EUR basic price
10.05.-31.05. + 04.09.-05.10.
- 779 EUR seasonal price
01.06. - 03.09.
- 230 EUR single room surcharge
- 80 EUR rental bike
- 190 EUR e-Bike
- 85 EUR additional night Salzburg, double room, B&B
- 120 EUR additional night Salzburg, single room, B&B
- 105 EUR additional night Salzburg, double room, B&B, 10.07.-31.08.
- 150 EUR additional night Salzburg, single room, B&B, 10.07.-31.08.
- booking code "Cycling Holidays Chiemgau":
- how you can save some money
Parking in Salzburg:
Public, paid car parks
Arrival by train:
Train station Salzburg, approx. 0,5-3 km / 0,3-1,9 mi to the hotels
Arrival at Munich airport:
By train, journey takes approx. 2,5 hours, 1-2 x changes. Regular price approx. EUR 45
Pre-booked rental bikes are ready for you at the hotel.
Perfectly looked after:
During your tour, we are available between 8 am and 8 pm, 7 days a week. We are happy to help with any kind of problems you might be having. You will find this emergency number in your travel documents