Cycling tour Danube & Altmuehl valley
Roundtrip from Regensburg, 7 days / 6 nights from EUR 549
This tour combines some of the most beautiful towns and cities along the German Danube with the most beautiful section of the Altmühl. The Altmühl nature park is one of Bavaria’s most popular cycling regions for good reason - not least because of its stunning lime cliffs and typical juniper heather. Regensburg’s historic centre is a UNESCO world heritage site and certainly warrants an extension of one or several nights. This cycling tour along the Danube and Altmühl covers easy terrain and in thus suitable for expert cyclists and novices alike.
Day 1 Arrival in Regensburg
Explore the sprawling alleyways of Germany’s most beautiful city and enjoy the delicious local cuisine.
Day 2 Regensburg - Abensberg/Bad Gögging, 50-55 km / 31-34 mi, boat trip
The tour will lead you upstream along the Danube, and you’ll get to experience the Danube Gorge from the ship. Weltenburg monastery is well worth a visit.
Day 3 Abensberg/Bad Gögging - Neuburg, 60-65 km / 37-40 mi
Ingolstadt is not only home to car manufacturing, but also a well-preserved Bavarian fortress. The towns along the route present their Baroque and Renaissance architectural styles.
Day 4 Neuburg - Eichstätt, approx. 60 km / 37 mi
The ancient Danube created the Wellheim valley, the region in Germany with most butterflies, which will lead you to the Altmühl along mostly empty cycling paths.
Day 5 Eichstätt - Beilngries, approx. 45 km / 28 mi
The Baroque episcopal town lies amid an impressive landscape awash with rocks and cliffs. The Altmühl nature park is characterised by the abundant juniper heather.
Day 6 Beilngries - Regensburg, approx. 65 km / 40 mi, train ride
Surrounded by several castles, you will find the town of Riedenburg. The "Befreiungshalle" in Kelheim is visible from afar, the train takes you back from Saal a.d.D. to the starting point.
Day 7 Departure or extend your stay
The tour ends after breakfast.Why not extend your cycling tour along the Danube and Altmuehl in Regensburg?
Included in "Cycling tour Danube & Altmuehl valley":
- 6 overnight stays incl. breakfast
- luggage transport from hotel to hotel,
no maximum number of items, maximum weight: 20 kg/ item (44 lbs/ item)
- boat trip Kelheim-Weltenburg incl. bike
- train Saal a.d.D.-Regensburg incl. bike
- travel documents and maps in english
- visitor taxes payable on site
- 7-day customer helpline
- optional rental bike
- Category M:
Hotels at the international 3* level as per Hotelstars Union, all rooms with shower or bath/WC.
Bikes for hire:
- Comfortable unisex bikes available in different frame sizes with 8 gears/rear brake or 27 gears/freewheel. Equipped with panniers, lock and repair kit. E-bikes available upon request.
Travel time 2022:
- Arrivals daily from 01.05. to 03.10.
- the day of arrival determines the price of your tour
All prices apply per person in a double room, incl. breakfast.
- 549 EUR super saver price
01.05. - 06.05. + 25.09.-03.10.
- 649 EUR saver price
07.05.-14.05. + 11.09.-24.09.
- 699 EUR basic price
15.05.-21.05. + 29.05.-31.05.
19.06.-30.06. + 21.08.-10.09.
- 749 EUR seasonal price
22.05.-28.05. + 01.06.-18.06. + 01.07.-20.08.
- 200 EUR single room surcharge
- 85 EUR rental bike
- 45 EUR Bike tagalongs / trailers for kids / bikes for kids and youths
- 195 EUR e-bike
- 60 EUR additional night, double room, B&B
- 90 EUR additional night, single room, B&B
- Discount in the room of two adults
00-05 years: 100 %
06-11 years: 50 %
12-17 years: 25 %
- booking code "Cycling tour Danube & Altmuehl valley":
- how you can save some money
Arrival by car
Parking garages, cost EUR 10-20/day. No reservation possible.
Chargeable hotel parking according to availability, details in the travel documents.
Arrival by train:
Regensburg train station
Arrival by plane:
Munich Airport, take the bus to Freising, with the train (Alex) to Regensburg, Approx. 1:30 hours, you have to change the train one time, cost approx EUR 30.
Booked rental bikes awaits you at the hotel.
Perfectly looked after:
- During your tour, we are available between 8 am and 8 pm, 7 days a week. We are happy to help with any kind of problems you might be having. You will find this emergency number in your travel documents.